New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Creole Seasoning Recipe

Another staple in my kitchen is a good Creole Seasoning. A lot of people use Tony Chachere's, or Chef Paul's, I like to make my own, it's easy if you have all the spices on hand, and you have control over the heat and salinity. One of the many things I like about Paul Prudhomme's cookbooks, is that he gives a seasoning mix recipe for each dish. He always uses 3 peppers in every seasoning: Black, White, and Cayenne, because they all touch a different place on your tongue. What I like to do is make a base seasoning, that I can add on to for each dish. For instance, if I want a Southwest seasoning, I add cumin, chipotle, and ancho chili powder. You can also omit the salt if you prefer. This is a good basic Creole Seasoning:

My Creole Seasoning

1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
1/3 Cup Paprika
1/4 Cup Granulated Garlic
4 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/3 Cup Freshly Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp White Pepper
2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Dried Thyme
2 Tbsp Dried Basil
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano

Combine all ingredients and place in an airtight jar or plastic container.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Danny, here is a trackback for you. http://18thccuisine.blogspot.com/2005/04/menues-espices.html Your seasoning sounds great.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, New to the blog.

Got here from 18thCentrue Cuisine's blog.

I love Cajun/Creole and it is nice to see another blog in the field.

cordially,

t.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
great work and thank you for lots of inspiration.
I just wanted to say putting the still warm/hot potatoes in vinegar (hope I spelled that correct) is the best, my grandmother used to and my mother still does - it has tradition in our family.
Regards
rikki.o

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home