New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Thursday, April 07, 2005

The Ramos Gin Fizz

Along with the Sazerac, the Ramos Gin Fizz is one of the most well known cocktails of New Orleans. The drink was invented in the 1880's by Henry C. Ramos at Meyer's Restaurant, which he owned. The drink was made famous, however, by the Roosevelt Hotel (now The Fairmont) where Louisiana Governor, and later Senator, Huey Long did all of his business. Huey proclaimed the Ramos Ginn Fizz his favorite drink. On one occasion, in full Huey Long fashion, he took the bartender from the Roosevelt Hotel with him on a business trip to New York, to show them how to properly make the drink. He called it his gift to New York. The Roosevelt trademarked the drink in 1935. The Fairmont still makes a great Ramos Gin Fizz in their Sazerac Bar, I sampled it on my last trip. Here is their version of the drink that I found online from Saveur magazine:

The Fairmont's Ramos Gin Fizz Recipe

3 dashes Lemon Juice
2 dashes Lime Juice
3 dashes Orange Flower Water
1 1/4 oz. Dry Gin (they use Gordon's)
1/4 of the White of one egg
1 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
3 oz. Milk

Add the contents to a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice. Shake very well until good and frothy, strain into a cocktail tumbler.

Orange Flower water is the most important ingredient in this drink, but go easy with it, a little goes a long way, when you smell it you'll believe me. I generally put about one small dash. There is a French company that produces it called A. Monteaux. Here is a link to where you can order it. I also found a 10 Fl. Oz. bottle from a Lebanese company at my local grocery store.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect timing! Check out what I'm working on today: http://spaces.msn.com/members/culinaryfool/Blog/cns!1pYNGy2haD1h_titL1O7uNXQ!578.entry

:-)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

I woke in the middle of the night thinking about that drink. That makes me either a psychic or a drunk, more likely the latter. If you want more recipes for it just ask, I have about 18 different variations within my Cajun/Creole library. That is really funny, small world, two drunks thinking of the same drink before the sun comes up! lol. I make a mean Brandy Milk Punch as well.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I am amazed at how many variations there are - I think more than for any other drink I've researched. (And there have been a few...) The recipe you posted helped a lot. You can see my final "Fool" version here: http://spaces.msn.com/members/culinaryfool/Blog/cns!1pYNGy2haD1h_titL1O7uNXQ!579.entry

Salute! B

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

most recipes call for 1/2 of lemon and of lime juice.
yours calls for 1-2 dashes of each.
is yours a typo or are all the others a typo???

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Spankhole said...

Wow, nice. That is so funny!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home