New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Monday, April 25, 2005

Red Beans and Rice and Comfort Foods

It's Monday, and I'm doing laundry today... that's the best excuse I can come up with to make a pot of Red Beans! I always get excited when I'm thinking of making Red Beans, all of the cookbooks start flying off of the shelves, even though I don't follow a recipe. Music is always playing, something slow and low to give the beans something to bubble to. I feel good when I'm making Red Beans. It's my favorite dish to make, I probably enjoy cooking them more than eating them, and that's saying something. This is comfort food, right? I have a few comfort foods, this is one of them. We all have one or more, a dish that makes you happy, or even a little sad; maybe the person it reminds you of is gone, or maybe the nostalgia is a little too strong. Somehow, even if it's bittersweet, it still makes you feel good.

I will post today's Red Beans and Rice Recipe later.

Here are some previous posts on Red Beans and Rice:

Red Beans and Rice Recipe Links
Red Beans and Rice

2 Comments:

Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Ah...yes...nothing better than a little red beans and rice to cure the soul! ;-)

(well...other than cookies....)

3:47 PM  
Blogger sleepybomb said...

i find gumbo to be very a comfortable food too. my mom used to make gumbo when we lived in niles. it would stink up the whole neighborhood, and this was in winter when all the other kids got chicken noodle soup.
mmmm, red beans and rice sounds so nice . . .

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home