New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Sazerac


Sazerac
Originally uploaded by Danno1.
Another great New Orleans Cuisine icon! The Sazerac, some say is America's first cocktail. Invented by Antoine Peychaud, a Creole pharmacist, in the 1830's. The original contained Brandy (some say Cognac), absinthe and the Apothecary's secret bitters. Sazerac lovers all have their own recipe which they think is the best, which is ridiculous, because mine is the best. My buddy Tom also shakes a great Sazerac, he uses Wild Turkey Rye 101. In addition to recipe, an equally ferocious debate, is which bar in New Orleans has the best. I'm sure the locals would know better, but a great one is at the Fairmount Hotel's Sazerac Bar. The Fairmont Hotel, which was the Roosevelt until 1965. The Roosevelt was owned by Seymour Weiss, friend of Huey Long, who set up shop in the hotel. Anyway, they make a good Sazerac, as well as their famous Ramos Gin Fizz, but that's another post. Another thing, don't go looking for a Sazerac in the Hurricane shops on Bourbon, they'll look at you like your from another planet. Great places for a Sazerac on Bourbon are the Desire Oyster Bar or Felix's. Peychaud's can be difficult to find in the Detroit area but I managed to find a few places that carry it. Herbsaint, I've only found in New Orleans. Not too much different than Pernod, but it's 90 proof as opposed to Pernod's 80 proof, plus its cheaper, and from New Orleans.

My Sazerac

2 oz. Rye Whiskey (I use Jim Beam Rye, or Wild Turkey Rye 101; You could also use Bourbon, hell, Commander's Palace does!)
8 dashes Peychaud Bitters
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
1 Tablespoon Simple Syrup (equal parts sugar and water/cooked until the sugar disolves)
about 1/2 ounce Herbsaint or Pernod.
1 Lemon Twist

Chill an old fashioned glass. Combine the Rye, bitters and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it baby, shake it. Coat the glass with the Herbsaint, pour out the excess. Add the mix to the glass, twist the lemon and drop it in. Enjoy!

6 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I knew there was a reason for acquiring those little bottles of bitters. I was unaware of Peychaud, though. The first time I was engaged (at 19), New Orleans was to be our honeymoon destination. Someday I'll have to eventually make it.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Angostura are the most common variety. Peychaud's are quite a bit different and they give the Sazerac it's distinctive red color, as well as it's flavor. yeah, try to get to New Orleans, it can really be a great, fun trip, especially for those who love to eat! It's a great food town.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your enthusiasm. However, angostura shouldn't be used and the drink should be stirred. And never use Bourbon. Commander's Palace and any other place that does that in making the drink incorrectly.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

I appreciate your comment Paul, and I know what the classic Sazerac contains, this is just my variation, thanks for sharing your version.
My motto for food and drink is "Never say never."

My Sazerac at Nola Cuisine (Photo)

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While the recipe callsw for Herbsaint, the original called for absinthe, which is just barely legal to possess in the US. To find out more, go to http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=2693

2:14 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Shaking a Sazerac is not traditional at all. The traditional cocktail is stirred and served in an absinthe rinsed coupe glass (.5 oz seems excessive). Don’t know where you got your recipe but you should read “Imbibe” by David Wondrich. My mottoe is "A drink worth doing is a drink worth doing right." Cheers

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home