New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Friday, April 15, 2005

Cheese Straws

I haven't posted for a few days, due to some computer problems. I would like to personally thank Bill Gates and his fine staff for their wonderful products. If you haven't picked up on it, I'm laying the sarcasm on with a Spackle knife. Can someone in food blog land bake another pie to throw in his face? Okay, I'm through ranting, and I've fixed my computer. Back to food.

I was talking the other day with Cookie Jill about Cheese Straws, and how they're extremely popular down south, and not-so-much, north of the Mason-Dixon line. I don't know why. I know they're good, no one else seems to get it up here! What do they know? You can't even get a beer to-go up here! If you've ever read Liquor by Poppy Z. Brite, which is about two New Orleans cooks, cheese straws are what Rickey makes when he's stressing out. The recipe I use to make these is based on the one from the Commander's Palace's cookbook, Commander's Kitchen.

Cheese Straws

1 1/4 Cups Good Quality Cheddar Cheese
3/4 Cups A.P. Flour
1/2 Stick Room Temperature Unsalted Butter, Cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 Large Egg Yolks, Beaten
1/2 tsp. Cayenne (I make these pretty spicy)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix together the flour and cheese with your hands. Work the butter in with your hands. Add the egg yolk and seasonings and work in with your hands. Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is a nice shiny ball. Roll this out to a 1/3 inch thickness. Cut into 2 inch strips and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden orange. Let cool.
Makes about 5 dozen. These can be stored in an airtight container.

Here is Cookie Jill's Version!

11 Comments:

Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

ohhhh....Commander's Palace! A Mecca for us foodies! ;-)

I have that cookbook somewhere in my collection. I will have to go hunt it down now to refresh my tastebuds!

I was wondering where you were with a CheeseStraw recipe...I was getting too hungry! ;-)

12:14 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

This has nothing to do with your always wonderful recipes. Love the picture on your profile and, also, I don't know if I didn't notice before or if you just added it but "Confederacy of the Dunces" is also one of my favorite books. It's so sad that he died before he wrote anything else.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Cookie Jill: The Commander's Palace cookbooks are my favorites. There is one by Ella & Dick Brennan from 1984, and the newer version by Ti Adelaide Martin & the late Jamie Shannon from 2000. I cherish both and they never make it back onto my cookbook shelf.

Laurie Kay: Confederacy is one of my faves as well. Whenever I'm in New Orleans, I crack up when I see the Lucky Dog carts in the French Quarter. I picture Ignatius in that Pirate Costume, cramming hot dogs into his face. What a shame, that we only have one novel from John Kennedy Toole (2 if you count The Neon Bible).

12:53 PM  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Danno - My Commander's Palace cookbook is signed by Shannon! ;-)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Very cool! It's a damned shame that he died, 40 years old is just too young to die. My mentor Chef used to work with him in the 80's, back when Emeril was Chef at Commander's. It is such a wonderful restaurant, their attention to detail is impeccable. My trip to Commander's is one of the greatest dining experiences that I've ever had. Ella Brennan is my hero!

6:57 PM  
Blogger sleepybomb said...

uh oh, someone mentioned 'confederacy', which is always in my top 5.
ah the characters are so true to that goofy town. and if not for his mother pumping walker percy, this would have never seen the light of day. i hear they tried again to make a movie of it, w/ will farell an drew barrymore. . . another conferacy jinx.
oh, i worked with emiril a few times and had dinner at his house on numerous occasions. at the time, (the early 90s), i didn't think about it, but there he was doin his blam thing and working his party of 8. he's a real nice guy, and a blast for as a home cook.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Danno said...

Sleepybomb: I flipped out when they said they had cast Will Ferrell as Ignatius, thank god they pulled the rug out from under that recipe for disaster! Before him they said Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who I could maybe see pulling it off. I would prefer they didn't even make a movie, they'll only ruin it. One of my favorite characters in the book is Jones, with his shades and always behind a veil of smoke. "Whoa!"
That is great that you ate at Emeril's house! Do you remember anything that he served?

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell me what does it mean when it says A.P. Flour. What type of flour is that?

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To anonymous, A.P. means all-purpose. Hope this helps.

8:08 PM  
Blogger writerdeman said...

Just wanted to add for those who have not made cheese straws before, that the cheddar should be the sharpest you can find. It makes all the difference.
And here's a question: Why do so many ppl insist on calling for unsalted butter and then add salt at the end? I know you can control the saltiness better, but these puppies are never salty enough, so why not start out with some and then just tweak it?

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to say, count me in on one of your minions regarding that idiot gazillionare, little Billy Gates who's company specializes in selling un-tested products claiming they'll work every time, that's like Henry Ford claiming the Model T would work just fine without an engine

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home