New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Monday, March 28, 2005

My Remoulade Inspired Potato Salad

Spring is here and it's getting into Barbecue season (for those of you who stopped for the winter), so I thought I would share my Louisiana Inspired Potato Salad. It has the flavors of Remoulade Sauce, as a matter of fact, in the past I've actually just used Homemade Remoulade Sauce, which works great as well. I make my own Mayonnaise for this, which is basically an Aioli. One technique that really adds a lot of flavor to a Potato Salad is tossing the hot potatoes with an acid (Lemon juice or Apple Cider Vinegar) and seasonings before chilling them. It adds another depth of flavor. This goes great with Grilled Seafood, a Crawfish Boil (cook the potatoes in the liquid, then make the salad...ohhhh), or just about any Barbecue meal!

My Remoulade Inspired Potato Salad

3 lbs Small to Medium Red Skin Potatoes
3-4 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt & Black Pepper To Taste
3 Tbsp Prepared Horseradish

1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
1/4 Cup Thinly sliced Green Onions
2 Tbsp Chopped Italian Parsley
1 Recipe of My Garlic Mayonnaise
4 Tbsp Creole Mustard or another Whole Grain Mustard
3 Hardboiled Eggs, diced (Optional)

Cover the potatoes with water and boil them until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain then quarter the hot potatoes, leave the skins on. While still hot toss them with the Lemon Juice, Salt & Pepper, and the Horseradish. Place in the refrigerator until completely cool, then toss with the remaining ingredients and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Chill until ready to serve. It will be better if made a day ahead.

Garlic Mayonnaise

1 Egg
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
1 Clove Garlic, Minced (Optional)
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
Salt, Black Pepper, and Cayenne Pepper to taste

In a food Processor, blend the egg, garlic and lemon juice for about 10 seconds. While the motor is running, slowly drizzle in the oil starting with the Extra Virgin then the Vegetable Oil. The mixture should thicken. Season with salt and the peppers. Keep covered in the refrigerator. Use within a couple of days.

**If using for My Potato Salad, stir in:

1 Tbsp Ketchup
2 tsp Yellow Mustard
1 tsp Paprika
1 shake of

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a way to liven up traditional potato salad, and this looks like a winner...

3:41 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

I always make Potato Salad with a fresh homemade Mayonnaise. I first made this version when I made WAY too much Remoulade Sauce for Shrimp Remoulade, for a party! The flavors are perfect, if you've never tasted Horseradish with Potatoes you are truly missing out!

If you haven't checked out Yatpundit's New Orleans Cuisine Monday Podcast's you can do so here:

http://food.yatpundit.com/

They are really great, fun,
and informative!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe, Looks very tasty:)

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stir in one shake of....what?

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Katherine said...

As someone else already asked: one shake of WHAT??? It's driving me crazy.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home