New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Smoking Sausages or Seasoning Meats

Well, your Andouille has been made and left to hang in a cool place overnight, now it's time to smoke. I use an inexpensive (about $60) barrel smoker which can be found at Home Depot, Lowe's or just about anywhere here in Detroit. I usually use Hickory chips or chunks to smoke sausage, although I want to get my hands on some Pecan wood, that's what Jacob's uses, but it's kind of hard to come by in Michigan. I use charcoal, pushed to one side for the heat source, no fluid or match light please, all you will taste is the chemicals. I heat the charcoal in a chimney starter with a ball of newspaper under it. Now here is where the problem lies. Keeping the temperature down. If it gets too hot, it cooks the sausage instead of smoking it, which renders the fat out. You're shooting for 170-200 degrees F. My friend Tom and I were just talking the other night about his recent batch of Andouille. He came to the conclusion, and I agree, that it's best to make Andouille in the early or late winter time (call it 30-40 degrees F) here in Michigan. Your temperature stays just about right because you're not battling the summer heat. Another alternative is to put ice in the water pan underneath the meat. I swear, this year I'm going to build a cold smoker. Cold smoking is where your fire is in a seperate chamber and the smoke is piped to the meat with no heat. It takes a lot longer to smoke, but it's a much better product because your smoke curing as opposed to cooking. In the barrel smoker I would smoke it for about 3-4 hours. After it's done, and it's cool, I cryovac it in about 1 lb packages and freeze it.

7 Comments:

Blogger tesla4all said...

I'll have to bring you some pecan wood next time I come to Motown...I live down here in GA. and broken pecan limbs are always lying around in brushpiles. Made an awesome pot of RB&R yesterday....My wife who doesn't eat redbeans nearly out-ate me...

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add a little bit of sugarcane for a slightly sweet taste added to the smoke

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Larry said...

I was in the sausage business as a side line in the states. I always cold smoked using hickory and oak mix. After 3 hours, I would slowly bring heat up until a 160 degree temp. was acquired. I should think hickory and oak would be available in MI.
From a New Orleans boy.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Larry said...

One other thing, I now reside in Australia with my job. Hardwoods are hard to find here. The only thing available is Pin Oaks and some apple wood. Our mates down under just do not know what good smoked meats are about.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corn Cobs :)

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.barbecuewood.com/-strse-Pecan-Wood/searchpath/6126957/start/11/total/24/Categories.bok

This is a good site to order pecan wood. They have it in chips or chunks and different quantities.

I have to order most of my pecan and alder wood online as trees that are good for smoking don't grow in the Nevada desert.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Palladini said...

I find it amazing you cannot find pecan wood in Michigan. I live about 3 hours east and maybe 3/4 of an hour north of downtown Detroit in Ontario and I visit TSC, Lowes or Home Depot and they have it available up here.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home