New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Butcher? Fish Monger? What are those?

Ever watch the Food network and here someone say, "Have your Butcher, do this for you", or "Have you Fish Monger do that for you"? I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but we don't have Butchers or Fish Mongers, we have disgruntled grocery store employees. Whenever I ask for something that isn't in the display cooler, they look at me like I'm from another planet! For instance, the other day I was making sausage and I asked the guy with the white hat and blood stained apron, who I assumed was a butcher, if he could sell me some pork fat. Sounds like a nice transaction for the store right? Wrong! He would not do it, and he was a total ass about! Then I walked past the "fish monger", a smarmy woman who probably hasn't smiled since Nixon was in office, scowling over a case full of freezer burned shrimp, gaping Mussels that may have been alive last week, and Tuna Fillets that resemble chunks of cancer, surgically removed from someone's lung! I know I shouldn't complain, I can find virtually any ingredient I need where I live, for a price. I just wish the Butchers in this area hadn't been driven out of business, then again maybe all of them haven't, maybe I just need to look harder. OK. I'm through ranting now, and yes I do feel better.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! I was just thinking the same thing yesterday while considering a fresh ham for Easter. One of my cookbooks recommends ordering one from your butcher. Ha! My butcher looks likes he's 19 and looked at me like I was crazy when I once asked for a Boston Butt.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you need a new grocery! everytime I've asked the guys in the meat department at zuppardo's on vets, they gladly do it. Zuppardo's is different because they don't have a counter, you have to ring the bell and they come out. In a way, that's better, because i think most folks don't realize they'll do special cuts and such.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Thanks for your comments on my butcher rant, I flew off the handle a bit. I'm glad I'm not alone Caryn, sorry it has to be you though! Here in the Detroit area there are some good upscale groceries, unfortunately, they're quite far away. I wish I had a shop with a bell, I like being able to speak with someone, especially if they're actually helpful. It also helps in building a relationship with your suppliers! No one in my area really seems to care about quality. I'll just have to start traveling further out. Have a great Easter!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I just moved to Houston from Caracas, Venezuela, where no one would even consider buying pre-packaged meat in a supermarket. There are separate meat markets, where you also buy your chicken, cheeses, ham, sausages, etc. Now, for your fish you buy from a fish truck, of which there is one in every neighborhood. Rather quaint, but functions wonderfully. Now, in Houston I am rather at a loss. I've been told I can buy fresh fish at the Chinese stores - haven't gone yet, but will shortly. As for a butcher, there are Latin "abastos" which are small grocery stores (mom & pop type) where you can have your meat cut to your satisfaction. I have shopped at 2 of these and they are great. Note: you really need to know Spanish. If any commentors live in the Katy area and have any advice, I would really appreciate it.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous www.alicante-3d.com said...

So, I do not really think this will work.

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Phillip said...

I am considering moving to New Orleans. Since I am some what of a foodie who likes to cook good food at home I am looking for the names of a decent butcher shop and/or fish monger in New Orleans and even more hopefully in the Warehouse District.

Looking forward to some replies. Thanks.

Phillip

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home