New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Casual Dining in New Orleans

This is the kind of restaurant guide that I like, from the Washington Post, although biting the heads off of crawfish (see Franky & Johnny's), may not be the best advice, unless of course your lunch date knows the Heimlich. New Orleans Cuisine Neighborhood favorites! Unfortunately, after the tourists like myself, scour the net for Neighborhood favorites, they become tourist traps after a number of years. Hey, C'est la Vie! It happens. Me personally, I don't care if I have to wait for a "Fantastic" meal. I've waited in Hawaii, New York, New Orleans and elsewhere for "Fantastic Meals", ultimately disappointed. My wife and I went to A Pacific Cafe on Kauai after being told to do so by practically everyone on the island. After a long wait for a table, I ordered rare Ahi Tuna with Soba noodle wrapped shrimp. Sounds good right! I received a lukewarm plate of food with the Tuna so well-done, as my mentor Chef used to say, "It would have only been suitable for Miracle Whip and a bag of Wonderbread!" A $40 plate of Disappointment. I also waited in Hanalei the next day for Tropical Taco. A $7 plate of pure casual heaven. Worth the wait. If waiting is part of the cost for truly great food, I'm willing to pay! I expect to wait for great food, or just really good casual, diner food. I found this article at Appetites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home