New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces

Custom Search

Monday, April 04, 2005

The Picayune's Creole Cook Book & Historical Cooking

In my last post I mentioned The Picayune's Creole Cook Book. For anyone interested in the cuisine of New Orleans, or if you just love cookbooks, this is a great fun read. I have a 1987 reprint addition that is edited and compilated by Marcelle Bienvenu, the original was published in 1901. The recipes are left as is, with measurements such as one half-gill or a wineglassful, and Marcelle's comments and suggestions in a sidebar. You can really get an understanding of the evolution of Creole Cuisine when reading this book. You can also see how Cajun & Creole, like it or not, have fused together in certain areas over the years. The recipes are stripped versions of the ones we know today. I love to read this book for the same reason I love to read Carolyn's 18th Century Cuisine, if you haven't checked her out yet, do so. She does everything in the old world way and it's fascinating. I love to see how recipes have evolved, and our cooking techniques and equipment have advanced. I also believe that with some of those advances, our food quality has declined; meaning processed foods. Its fascinating to think about a cook having to tend a wood fire, to maintain an even cooking heat. I've tried it on my wood burning stove/fireplace, it's definately not easy. Yet with our modern conveniences and gadgets, the only cooking most people do is throw a plastic container in the microwave, whose contents I wouldn't be able to spell, let alone pronounce. If you like historical cooking, and just learning about how to really make things from scratch, check out the above cookbook and website.


Blogger Carolyn said...

Thank you for the lovely compliment--several people have clicked on over already.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if anyone's reading this thread, but if you are...I am looking for historical recipes for Louisiana-style hot sauces: does the cookbook you reference contain them? Thanks!

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home