New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Wild-Caught Louisiana Shrimp Hitting The Stores

I was at the grocery store a little while ago, and I noticed that Emeril Lagasse is now selling Wild-Caught Louisiana Fresh Frozen Shrimp. Damn that's good to see! The Fisherman are finally getting a little help due to new Mandatory Country of Origin labeling, which will definately increase distribution of American Shrimp. Tony Chachere's is also onboard with a new line, among others mentioned in this article. Few people know how hard of a time the Louisiana fisherman are having these days, mostly due to the continuing loss of Louisiana wetlands, here is an article about it if you're interested. There is also a great book that I'm reading right now on the subject called, Bayou Farewell - The Rich Life and Tragic Death of Louisiana's Cajun Coast by Mike Tidwell. Essentially what is happening, is the land is sinking, mostly due to the leveed Mississippi. The Mississippi doesn't flood the wetlands anymore, due to the levees, therefore land is no longer created; it just diminishes. It's really a major, man-made problem that has effected the fisherman most of all, due to the mess it has created in the ecosystem. It made me feel good to see Louisiana Shrimp in mass quantities at my grocery store, it's a step in the right direction. Not to mention, the Shrimp is of better quality than the mostly farm-raised varieties from over seas. Few of us, before now, really had an idea where the shrimp we were buying was coming from. Now that I know that it's Louisiana or just American Wild-Caught, that is what I will buy. Also check out the Louisiana Seafood website.

7 Comments:

Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

There really isn't anything quite as tasty as a true wild Louisianan shrimp.

I have found that the more natural and local is the only way to go in shopping for food, but our Congresspeople are fighting against requiring labels to where food comes from.

I think we ought to know so we can make safe and sane choices.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Well, I might have to just disagree a tad bit.... depending on time of year and size of shrimp, ours comes from Alaska, Washington and/or Oregon and it's all pretty dang good, if I do say so! :-)

~ B

5:23 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Nothing wrong with disagreement! We all have our personal preferences; Alaskan and Wahington Shrimp are great! I'm simply saying that I prefer American shrimp, preferably wild-caught, preferably from Louisiana (when in season), over the asian farm raised varieties, and it's great to see it on the shelves in my grocery store.

7:05 PM  
Blogger sleepybomb said...

mmmmm, shrimp. we just did a bag of zat gumbo, added some reno shrimp, (not big but fresh), and canned crabmeat, (what can i say, middle of the week, reno?). it was great for not eating the good stuff in a while. but i can't wait to go to carrollton and bienville, in mid-city, and pick up a few pounds.
here it comes from the pacific rim, and i find it to be a lot stiffer in texture and not half as yummy.
but i am spoiled i guess.
s.a. is dying to get to the easy to work your recipes, she says she has no heart for it here knowing we are there in a few months. it makes my mouth water to think about it.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

My grandparents were born and raised in the bayous around Lafayette and it makes me sad when I hear about losing the wetlands.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Danno said...

sleepybomb: Zatarains is good product in a pinch, when you've got an itch that needs scratching, but there is nothing like the food in the city. Most of the shrimp we get here are the same, flavorless and chewy. Last night I made an Etouffee (recipe coming soon) with Emeril's new line of Louisiana shrimp, they were great, no comparison!

Laurie Kay: It is very sad. I was amazed to hear how quickly we're losing it.

8:08 AM  
Blogger sleepybomb said...

the lower portion of louisiana is deterorating at an alarming rate. every year hundreds of miles of land are lost that will probably never be recovered. in the loss are the beds of oysters, as well as many other forms of seafood. here is a site that shows the damage man has done to this delicate environment for oil and commerce.
http://marine.usgs.gov/fact-sheets/LAwetlands/lawetlands.html
or here:
http://www.americaswetland.com/
it is only gonna be what the goverment does to help or hinder this major problem.
(my bet is bush just will wish it away, like he has for everything else).

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home