New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Okra Jambalaya Recipe

I've been doing some research into Cuban Cuisine lately and I came across a recipe called Arroz Con Quimbombo, or Rice with Okra. It is cooked in the Spanish Paella style, using Chorizo, and Spanish Valencia rice, which is similar to Arborio. I'm very intrigued by Cuban cooking right now, it has a lot in common with Louisiana's Cuisine, with it's Spanish, African, and Creole influences. I didn't get around to making the Cuban dish yet, but it inspired me to make this into a Jambalaya, I will make it in the Cuban style later in the week which will be posted at Cook's Journal. I love exploring root dishes, and it is plain to see (IMO) that Jambalaya is a derivitive of Paella.
I love fresh Okra, and anyone who loves Okra knows that it goes wonderfully with Tomato, which is also featured in this recipe. As I've said in the past, I always finish my Jambalayas in the oven, I find the even heat produces a better textured rice. I use a cast iron pot here, some folks will pass out if they see you cook okra in a cast iron pot, personally, I have yet to notice any discoloration in Okra that has been cooked in cast iron.

Okra Jambalaya Recipe

1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Andouille Sausage, Diced
1/2 Cup Tasso, Diced
1/2 Cup Onion, Diced
1/2 Cup Bell Pepper, Diced
1/2 Cup Celery, Diced
2 Tbsp. Garlic, Minced
1/2 Cup Tomataoes, Diced
1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 tsp Fresh Oregano, Chopped
1/4 Cup White Wine
1 1/4 Cup Chicken Stock
1 Cup Enriched Long grain Rice
1 1/2 Cups Fresh Okra, sliced into 1/2" rounds
(Seasoning Mix: 1/2 tsp Cayenne, 3/4 tsp White Pepper, 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, 1 tsp Kosher Salt, 3 Bay Leaves)
Chopped Parsley
Green Onion, Thinly Sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a cast iron dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the Andouille and Tasso until slightly browned, then add 1/2 of the trinity (onion, bell pepper, and celery), saute until tender. Add the Okra and Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the Tomato and cook for about 1 minute, then add the Tomato Sauce, Fresh Thyme, and Oregano, cook 1 minute more. Add the Rice, cook 1 minute. Add the stock, garlic, white wine, bay leaves, seasoning mix, and the other half of the trinity. Stir well and bake uncovered for about 30-40 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, but still has a little bite. Stir in the chopped parsley, and sliced green onions. Enjoy!

This would also be wonderful topped with Creole Sauce.

Makes 3-4 Servings

Other Jambalaya Recipes:

Chicken and Andouille Jambalaya
Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya

Other Recipes using Okra:

Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Danno,

Now you've done it. I'm going to _have_ to start exploring Cuban cooking.

BTW, there's a Cuban/Chinese fusion restaurant in NYC that one of my brothers loves.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Kevin,

I'm really getting into it, I'm sure you'll like it with your knowledge of Spanish Cuisine. The two books I'm checking out now which I really like are:

A Taste of Old Cuba by O' Higgins

Memories of a Cuban Kitchen by Randelman & Schwartz

That sounds like a great fusion, I would love to try it!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Thanks for the kind words Sadie Mae, and nice to hear from you! You don't need to use Cast Iron, it's just what I prefer, you can use any heavy bottomed, oven-proof pot.

I hope all is well! By the way, when do you and M.A. get back down to N.O.? It must be soon.

8:25 PM  
Blogger sleepybomb said...

i am afraid to let her get a cast-iron anything. . . (we know where this is going. . . ).
we move soon, (i am dreading the packing of the albums and books), we will be in the easy for thanksgiving, new kid in tow, uh-oh!
so ya better book yer flight for the jazz fest now, ya got a place to crash so that is not a prob . . .

10:36 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

M.A. - Cast iron is not a good idea before a move, yikes. Books, ugh. I swear I think I've shaved about 10 years off of my life moving books. Give me furniture any day, books are the real killers.

I pray I'll be able to make it down next Jazzfest, if I do I'll take you up on your offer, much appreciated! I'll take care of the meals!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home