New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Mint Julep

I'm a few months late with this post by some standards, but not by mine, afterall, this isn't "Kentucky" Cuisine. I like to have my first Mint Julep when it tastes best; that is, when it's hotter than hell outside. There is no better time for a Mint Julep in New Orleans, or Detroit for that matter, than summertime.
To me a Mint Julep instantly evokes visions of Plantation Homes of old during the swelter of Summer, maybe a table underneath Spanish Moss-draped Live Oaks, and a glistening silver cup, beaded with sweat and garnished with an emerald sprig of mint. Ah, what could be more refreshing than that.

The Mint Julep Recipe

6 Fresh Mint Leaves
1 Tbsp Simple Syrup (See Note *)
2 oz. Bourbon (I like Maker's Mark)
Crushed Ice (See Note **)
Wooden Spoon
Rocks Glass (use a silver cup if you have one!)

Combine the mint and simple syrup in the bottom of the glass. Using the handle end of the spoon, smash the leaves into the simple syrup (muddle). Add the Bourbon, then the top with lots of crushed ice, stir, trying to keep the mint leaves on the bottom of the glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.

*Note - Simple Syrup is equal parts (by volume) water and sugar, cooked just until the sugar disolves. I make a 1 Cup batch and keep it in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator.

**Note - It's important to use Crushed Ice, it keeps the mint on the bottom of the glass while you're sipping.

Makes 1 Cocktail.

If you don't have a taste for Bourbon, try a Mojito over at Cook's Journal. It's a Cuban Rum drink that is very similar.

Also, check out this great idea for making Mint Juleps from the Food Network that my good friend Tom emailed me. Very cool idea, I will have to try it!

Other New Orleans Cocktail Recipes from this site:

The Sazerac
The Ramos Gin Fizz

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my first (and last) mint julep in New Orleans a few years ago.

The words "Mint Julep" always invoked images of southern belles sitting on the verandah, sipping this refreshing drink.

Mint Juleps are NOTHING like I expected. YOWZA! KNocked me on my @ss! Powerful drinks, nothing southern bellish about them at all! lol!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I had my first Mint Julep at Pat O'Brien's!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

Lisa - I know, if you don't have a taste for Bourbon, there is no way you will enjoy a Mint Julep. I still picture Southern Belles, piss drunk, but Southern Belles none the less. That vision makes me like them even more! :)

Laurie Kay - A great place to start for Mint Juleps! I know you're a Tequila gal, do you still like Juleps?

8:23 PM  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

I love the Old Time "receipt" for making a julep...

http://cookiesinheaven.blogspot.com/2005/05/blue-grass-winners.html

12:20 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I drank the mint julep mainly because it was pretty when the waiter passed by with one. Tequila is still my favorite though I do love Pat O's Hurricanes.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Danno said...

Jill - Great Post! That is my kind of recipe, as poetic as it is informative!

Laurie Kay - The Julep sure does look inviting. The Patty O's Hurricane is the best one, although the Hurricane itself is a little sweet for my tastes, but it sure packs a punch. It doesn't punch you in the face though, it waits until your back is turned then hits you in the back of the head with a souvenir cup filled with Mardi Gras Beads and Doubloons.

Sadie Mae - Right S.A., smooth as silk until you're laying in a bayou of urine and other bodily fluids on Bourbon Street, Yikes. You don't want to be the guy/gal passed out on a mattress of spent Go Cups in the gutter on Bourbon Street. You know you're drunk when you can sleep in that swill.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this amazing recipe. It will surely be a delight to have during the summer time. Though I never had Mint Julep I would love to try one.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can somebody help me?
In 1994 I visited New Orleans, in July.
While strolling through the French Quarter, around noon, I entered a couple of bars and asked for a "mint julep". At that time I didn't know anything about this drink, except for the fact that it was popular in the Southern US (I live in Eastern Europe).
To my bewilderment I couldn't get one and, more amazing, I was given no reasonable motive for the refuse.
Since I was way past the legal drinking age and showing it (a full beard with grey strands in it) I figured that I was somehow violating some local taboo.
The matter went out of my head but resurfaced now. Can somebody enlighten me on this?

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home